1931 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Sedan
Rolls-Royce 1931 Phantom II Continental Touring Saloon by H.J. Mulliner
7.7-liter straight six cylindee
Four-speed manual transmission
Desirable 'Continental' specification
Well documented history
Retains the original H.J.Mulliner coachwork
Unique flared wings and dual rear-mounted spare tires.
Eligible for major Concours d'Elegance events
Off-test in April of 1931, '64GX' comes with copy chassis cards recording it was sold new via CH Martin Ltd. of Cliff Bridge, Lewes, delivered in early June 1931 to its commissioning owner, Mr. H Asa Thomas, Esq. Mr. Thomas was the long-time friend and attorney of wealthy American philanthropist and millionaire art collector Edward Perry Warren. Upon Warren's death in late 1928 Thomas inherited his entire estate, including an immense art collection, (that housed Rodin's The Kissamong dozens of other notable pieces) and the historic Lewes House and Gardens. It's assumed that Warren's funds cleared probate some time in 1930, prompting Mr. Thomas to purchase a number of fine things with his new-found wealth, including '64GX'.
Mr. Thomas' ownership extended for nearly three decades, the first change of ownership (according to a copy of the car's British Excise Act Registration Book records) occurring in November 1958 to a Mr. Bernard Geoffrey Collings of Okehampton. The chassis cards list various subsequent owners including a Mr. S.E.L. Sturgeon of Surrey (whom commissioned a thorough restoration in October 1967) and a Mr. W.B. St. John Montagu of London (whom commissioned a comprehensive mechanical rebuild in June 1971). The car was exported to the United States in January 1977 and would remain with one owner for 35 years until his death in 2011.
We are advised that '64GX' has covered only 50,175 miles to date, documented by various service invoices, sales agreements, registration listings and a hand written mileage and maintenance journal that are all on file. Since the consignor's purchase of the car in 2011, a sympathetic restoration began with the aim to preserve the original structure, retaining as many original components as possible and refurbishing where necessary. Following complete disassembly of the wings, running boards, doors, mudguards, under-wing components and all interior trim, the coachwork was taken to bare metal and refinished in black, the car's original color, with silver pinstriping. The oxblood red Connolly leather seats have been complimented by completely new Wilton wool carpeting, a refurbished headliner and freshly polished original walnut interior wood accents. The original wheels are fitted with proper color-matched discs and shod with six matching Denman tyres. The car has received over $25,000 in mechanical work by marque experts D&D Restorations of Covington, Ohio and Roger Ford of Beaumont, California, allowing for a smooth and sporting drive quality, as originally intended. Labor included, but was not limited to work on the cam followers, new pistons and liners and an overhaul of the radiator and water pump (bills on file). Matching chassis, engine and body numbers attest to a very original car, beautifully presented and ready for its next proud owner's enjoyment.