1933 Rolls-Royce 20/25 Drophead Coupe
THE ROLLS-ROYCE 20/25
The introduction of the smaller Rolls-Royce 20HP in 1922 enabled the company to cater to the increasingly important owner-driver market that appreciated the quality of Rolls-Royce engineering but did not need a car as large as a 40/50HP Ghost or Phantom. The "Twenty" proved eminently suited to town use yet could cope admirably with Continental touring when called upon. Nevertheless, by the late 1920s, the trend towards ever-heavier coachwork was beginning to have a detrimental effect on the Twenty's performance. Introduced in 1929, the new 20/25HP model addressed this problem. The model featured numerous improvements, the most significant of which was a cross-flow version of the Twenty's 6-cylinder, overhead-valve engine enlarged from 3,127 to 3,669 cc. Apart from the revised engine, early 20/25 chassis were identical to those of the last 20s, both models being produced during 1929. Thus the 20/25 inherited the right-hand gearchange lever and servo-assisted brakes introduced on its predecessor for 1926, as well as Phantom-style vertical radiator shutters. The increased engine power allowed the bespoke coachbuilders greater freedom in their efforts to satisfy a discerning clientele that demanded ever larger and more opulent designs. Produced concurrently with the Phantom II, the 20/25 benefited from many of the larger model's improvements, such as synchromesh gears and centralised chassis lubrication and would become the best-selling Rolls-Royce of the inter-war period. The Rolls-Royce 20/25 H.P. was, of course, an exclusively coachbuilt automobile and most of the great British coachbuilding firms offered designs, many of them unique, on the 20/25 chassis. The model continued through 1936 and did much to stabilize Rolls during the Depression, in spite of the fact that it remained exclusive.
THIS MOTOR CAR
This lovely Rolls-Royce 20/25 three-position Drophead Coupe, chassis GEX28, was first sold to the prominent Rolls-Royce dealer H.R. Owen Ltd. of number 7 Berkeley Street, London W1. The long wheelbase chassis was invoiced to the famous coachbuilder J. Gurney Nutting & Co. Ltd. of Lacland Place, King's Road in Chelsea, London.The complete car was ordered for stock by Owen and ordered wth an extra long bonnet giving it the look of a Phantom II Continental. The car was sold in April of 1933 to Captain Gladstone of 8 Avonmore Road, Kensington. Ownership history as known is:
November 1934 GF French the Managing Director of "The Maidstone & District Motor Servces Ltd, London
March 1936 - J Barclay Ltd
Aprll 1936 - C. Claridge, London
December 1941 - Major CB Drury, Perth, Scotland
May 1946 - Lt. Colonel Gordon, Aberdeen, Scotland
June 1963 - R Harrison, San Francisco, CA
1965 - Michael Vincent, San Francisco, Ca
1969 - Matthew Kelly, San Francisco, CA
Since 1969, this car has been with the same owner. The car has not been on the market in over 47 years and was well cared for during that time. It is a sound, very good running car.
The car has been newly fitted with discs and a canister and is ready for its next owner!