1955 Jaguar XK140 Roadster
Jaguar 1955 XK140 SE Roadster
210hp, 3,422cc twinoverhead cam in-line 6 cylinder engine
four-speed manual transmission
independent wishbone front suspension with torsion bars and anti-roll bar
rear live axle with semi-elliptic springs
rack and pinion steering
Lockheed drum brakes with servo
Wheelbase: 102 inches
The XK140 was launched at the Earls Court Motor Show in October 1954 as essentially a re-engineered XK120 intended specifically to an increasingly important market for Jaguar - North America. The company incorporated changes that made the XK both faster and easier to live with. Nearly 90 percent were left hand drive and exported to the United States. During the model run from 1954-57, 3,301 of the 3,350 roadsters were left hand drive. Jaguar moved the bulkhead 3 inches forward giving more legroom for taller drivers on all three body styles. The dashboard was raised an inch to give extra room beneath the steering wheel and all roadsters were given an extra three inches of seat travel. These changes combined to make a more pleasing driving environment for American drivers. The exterior appearance was subtly changed by additions of Lucas J700 headlamps, different front turn indicators and rear taillights, numberplate mountings, and a bootlid handle. The chrome strip that ran down the bonnet continued on the bootlid and was skinned in aluminum. Badging proclaimed Jaguar's Le Mans wins. The cooling system was improved with an 8 blade fan, rack and pinion steering, sturdier bumpers and a single 12 volt battery replaced the twin 6 volts completed the transformation from XK120 to XK140. Many enthusiasts consider the XK140 the pinnacle of the XK series offering a combination of the XK120 style with the comfort and usability of the later XK150.
Known ownership history: The car was sold new to J.C. Weiland by Max Hoffman Motors of New York. In 1994 the car was sold by Cal Vista Corporation to renown Hong Kong car collector, Michael Mak. In 2002, it went to Ken Behring's Blackhawk Museum. During that time the car's cosmetics were refreshed by Mike Fennel. In 2007, Lawrence Magnus owned the car until it was sold to its last owner in 2009. The car is in the same condition now as it was it 1994.
Sporting a striking combination of red exterior with biscuit leather interior, the car is highlighted over period correct, wide whitewall tires on chromed wire wheels. Fog lights are also included. The benefits from a high quality, older restoration that presents itself extremely well, showing just a slight patination to the driver's seat. Prior to its appearance and expert workmanship. One of the just 3,347 XK140 roadsters produced, this car would be a striking addition to any collection as well as a blast to drive. $150,000